Men and women have many of the same needs, but they tend to be weighted differently. In relationships, we all want to feel loved and respected. However the way that is accomplished is somewhat gender specific. It’s the Mars, Venus syndrome.
When a man feels respected by his mate, it actually makes him want to become a better person. When it comes to relationships, feeling respected is a huge issue for most men. So, while some of the items on this list are very similar to the ones found in 65 Ways to Make Her feel Special, you will notice that the list leans more toward feeling respected rather than toward feeling loved. Realize that for a man, feeling respected is basically synonymous with feeling loved.
In relationships, most men are easily encouraged. Your approval is a powerful motivator and applying some of these simple steps will yield great results. If you want to encourage him in a positive direction, helping him to feel respected in the key.
1. Communicate with him in a way that leaves him feeling respected.
2. Let him know he’s important to you.
3. Try to understand his reasons, even when you disagree.
4. Ask for his help even if you don’t actually need it.
5. Let go of the small stuff.
6. Tell him he is loved, respected, and that you like him.
7. Give him some space for his hobbies.
8. Show him that you trust him.
9. When you go out together don’t bring up problems.
10. Focus your attention on what he’s doing right.
11. Show interest in what he feels is important in life.
12. Be happy and positive when he comes home.
13. Give him half an hour to unwind after work.
14. Don’t allow any family member to treat him disrespectfully.
15. Defend him to any family member who tries to dishonor him.
16. Compliment his efforts above his performance.
17. Seek his advice when you face challenges.
18. Set and work on goals together.
19. Don’t over commit yourself, leave some time for him.
20. Be forgiving when he unintentionally offends you.
21. Find ways to show him you need him. Guys need to be needed.
22. Don’t fill his every spare moment with chores.
23. Peel away your pride and admit your mistakes.
24. Rub his neck and shoulders when he is stressed.
25. If he wants to talk, listen and ask viewpoint questions.
26. Express appreciation for his hard work.
27. Tell him you are proud of him for the person he is.
28. Give advice in a loving way; do not in a nag him.
29. Reserve some energy for him when he wants you sexually.
30. Don’t expect him to spend all his time on honey do projects.
31. Commend him for being a good man.
32. Brag about him to other people even when he’s not there.
33. Share your feelings with him but keep it abbreviated.
34. Tell him 3 things you specifically appreciate about him.
35. Honor him and show your respect in front of everyone.
36. Get up with him, even when he gets up earlier than you want to.
37. Be his helper in whatever ways he needs it.
38. Accept that sometimes he just wants to be with you and not talk.
39. When he’s in a bad mood don’t crowd him.
40. Help him accomplish his goals.
41. Work to get rid of habits that annoy him.
42. Don’t compare his relatives with yours in a negative way.
43. Thank him for things he’s done around the house.
44. Don’t expect him to always notice everything you do.
45. Consult him before making important plans.
46. Let him sleep in when there’s room for it.
47. Don’t belittle his intelligence or be cynical with him.
48. Initiate sex periodically but be responsive more often.
49. Get to the point in your discussions without endless details.
50. Wink at him from across the room when you’re out together.
51. Give him the benefit of the doubt when he misspeaks.
52. Don’t quarrel over words, try to hear what he meant to say.
53. Be kind and courteous with him.
54. Don’t blame him every time things go wrong.
55. When he blows it don’t say, “I told you so.”
56. Never argue over money, he already feels responsible.
57. Hold his hand and snuggle up close to him.
58. Praise his good decisions and minimize the bad ones.
59. Don’t expect him to read your mind, we’re not that smart.
60. Check with him before you throw away his papers and stuff.
61. Work to keep yourself in shape in every way.
62. When you’re angry don’t give him the silent treatment.
63. Look your best for him and make him proud to be seen with you.
64. Be his best cheer leader, he needs you to believe in him.
65. Acknowledge his successes in areas of everyday life.
66. Patiently teach him how to demonstrate his love for you.
67. Thank him for just being himself.
Everyone needs to feel respected
This is not a list of rules and the purpose of this list in not to encourage a one-sided relationship. These are only suggestions for those who want to make their man feel respected and find it difficult to understand how a man’s emotional anchors work.
I know this is a long list and it would be absurd to think that all these things are required to help your mate feel respected. If they are, then there is a deeper issue that is not being addressed. So, if you are looking for ways to help him feel more respected, I suggest that you just pick out a few items that resonate with you and give them a try. If you are uncomfortable with some (or all) of these suggestions, or if they make you feel inferior, fake, or stifled, then don’t use them. It is entirely up to you!
Feeling respected helps fill the need for approval
One of the deepest human needs is the desire for approval. Feeling respected helps fill that desire for both men and women on a core level. Because a rich and rewarding relationship is a two way street, it’s advantageous if both participants have some understanding of what it takes to satisfy the needs of their partner. That’s why I also wrote: Get Him to Treat You with More Love and Respect and 65 Ways to Make Her Feel Special. You see, very often partners don’t have a clue how life looks from the other persons viewpoint. The purpose of these articles is simply to provide a little insight and perspective into the Mars, Venus syndrome, and to build some appreciation for our somewhat mysterious gender specific differences.
Does your man feel respected by you?
Do you feel respected by him?
How important is feeling respected in a relationship?
The lines are open!
If you enjoyed this article consider email updates!